Thursday, June 22, 2017

Feel the Heat

This addition to the massive Imperial Fists army gave me a chance to test out a few new things... the addition of weathering powders (I didn't have those years ago when I last painted the old dreads), and the Secret Weapon "Heat" paints.

This guy was painted to match a number of previously painted Imperial Fists vehicles from years past.

Here's a link to some of the older stuff:

It had been so long, I had to go back through the blog to find the images and get a sense of what they really looked like. :-)

The view from above shows how much heftier this is than those old plastic dreadnoughts.

Ground level!

And then a few peeks at those Secret Weapon Miniatures "Heat" paints.  They are even more fun on metallic paints.  They are very translucent, but still highly saturated.  I have started using these with my fluorescent paints to create Object Source Lighting, because they have a very similar consistency.

Wednesday, June 21, 2017


I had a lot of fun with this quick magic user from Reaper Miniatures.  It's another classic Werner Klocke sculpt.

The book was nice and 'open', with enough open space to put some nice, easy freehand in there.

The flower tufts are from Hangar 18 miniatures.

Tuesday, June 20, 2017


One thing the forces holding Bastonge will need is a medic!  Hopefully they have someone other than me rolling the dice, since those requisite 6's would not be forthcoming!

As with all of the Winter Americans from Warlord Games, these were painted with oils.  It was the first chance I had to try out such a process, and it was very fun!  Here's a link to a step by step:

There will be much more to come from the winter armies, so stay tuned!

Saturday, June 17, 2017


As promised, the final images of the waterfall base!  This was originally painted in a facebook live session:

The video shows how the base was painted with Badger Stynelrez primers, and how the foliage was selected and added.  Once that was set up, I went ahead with the planned waterfall effect, using the Liquitex Heavy Gloss Gel.

It takes a while for it to dry, depending on how thick it is applied.  However, it is very strong and solid, and really holds its shape!  You can see in the image on the right that I could even have some water overflowing the edge of the base itself!

This is also a less expensive option than the usual Vallejo Water effects which I have used.  Please check out the link to the video and see how that all worked out!

Friday, June 16, 2017

Off to the Races

This is one of several converted chariots that I created for my Tomb Kings army.  

I sculpted the "blanket" for the horses out of green stuff, which was then cast once cured.  This meant that I could make more of them in a lot less time!

To make the cast, I smushed some green stuff into my mould, and placed a sheet of tin foil over the top, cut to size.  Not only did this allow me to get the green stuff out of the mould more easily, it let me position it as I wished.  The tin foil gave it stability as it cured, so that it would not sag, etc.

It also gave it strength while I was painting it, so that it didn't move around with each brush stroke.

I believe this was inspired by the image on the cover of the Tomb Kings book, which showed chariots pulled by horses with this kind of blanket.

The chariot and crew are also here:

Thursday, June 15, 2017


This group shot is comprised of Algroyn units from the Gates of Antares universe.  As you can see, I was experimenting with a few different color schemes!

This post features one of the infantry units, done in an ice theme:

I also did a facebook live episode on painting the skimmers, and the freehand involved:

To show how I made the bases for the figures, I did this facebook live session:

The Algoryn skimmers were the perfect shape for those animal faces!  I have a few other predatory critters that I will be doing, such as birds of prey and a dragon face.

I had a lot of fun with the jungle foliage as well!

You can find these figures on the Warlord Games site here:

Here's another video episode on how the C3 Transporter freehand was painted:

Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Stop, Thief!

The adventuring party shows its darker side with this thief from Reaper Miniatures.

I did some basic non metallic metal with a purplish gray, mixed with lighter seafoam green to lighten it.

Just like other members of the party, I used the Green Stuff World leaf punches to create some nice ground cover.  Remember, if you are going to utilize those punches, you always want to have a nice collection of dried, pressed leaves handy!